Member of Governance and Audit Committee
|Job Type:||Temporary - Part Time|
Appointment of Lay Persons - Governance and Audit Committee
Role of the Governance and Audit Committee
This statutory committee is a key component of Carmarthenshire County Council’s governance framework.
The purpose of the Governance and Audit Committee is to provide independent assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of our risk management framework, internal control environment, performance assessment, complaints handling and integrity of our financial reporting and governance processes. The Committee makes an important contribution to ensuring that effective assurance arrangements are in place.
The Governance and Audit Committee meets at least four times a year for which Lay Persons (Independent Members) receive financial remuneration in accordance with the rates determined by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales
What is a Lay Person?
A Lay Person means a person who:
• Is not a member or an officer of any local authority;
• Has not been a member or an officer of any local authority at any time in the period of twelve months ending with the date of appointment; and
• Is not the spouse of civil partner of a member or an officer of any local authority.
In addition to satisfying this criteria, suitable applicants will need to be non-political with an understanding and commitment to the 7 Principles of Public Life (the Nolan Principles) and able to demonstrate the following qualities and characteristics:
• Interest and knowledge/experience of financial, risk and performance management, audit, accounting concepts and standards, and the regulatory regime within Wales;
• Objective and independent of mind with an unbiased attitude and ability to apply discretion;
• Supportive of good governance principles and their practical application towards the achievement of organisational objectives;
• Strategic thinker with excellent communication skills;
• Ability to understand and weigh up evidence and challenge respectfully.
A detailed knowledge of local government is not necessary although it would be expected that potential candidates would be interested in matters relating to public life and services.
Local interest in, and knowledge of, Carmarthenshire is desirable.
The Governance and Audit Committee is chaired by a Lay Person, therefore a willingness and ability to fulfil this role is desirable.
LOCATION: County Hall, Carmarthen / Remote / Hybrid Meetings
REMUNERATION: Remuneration is paid in accordance with the rates determined by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales
COMMITMENT: A minimum of 4 meetings per annum
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: For a period of 5 years, but could be re-appointed for a further term
CLOSING DATE: 4p.m. Friday 9th December 2022.
For an informal discussion please contact Helen Pugh, Head of Revenues & Financial Compliance – HLPugh@carmarthenshire.gov.uk
For an application form please email: Scrutiny@carmarthenshire.gov.uk or telephone 01267 224028.